Church History

Gouldsboro United Methodist Church

At the beginning of the 19th century, the Gouldsboro area was a dense forest, had few inhabitants, and lumbering and sawmills were the main sources of income. In 1845, itinerant preachers held services in a schoolhouse that stood where the Lehigh Cemetery is now located. A schoolhouse was built at Sand-Cut (later renamed Gouldsboro) in 1857, and church services were held for all Protestants and were led by Methodist ministers. However, they became discouraged by the transient population of the lumber camps and abandoned the effort.

In 1877, the Methodist Episcopalians again organized a class in Gouldsboro. Members of the class were determined to build their own church. The land was bought in 1888 and the church was built in 1890 at a cost of $1,250. Some of the building materials used in the sanctuary came from the M.E. Church of Daleville, which was being dismantled. The specially constructed and designed, ornate, stained lead glass windows, each presenting a different religious scene, are still in place. The first Sunday School at the church was established in 1895, with the following stated objective: The study and teaching of the Holy Scripture for the purpose of leading all who are connected with it to an intelligent Christian Faith and Life. The study and teaching of the Holy Scripture for the purpose of leading all who are connected with it to an intelligent Christian Faith and Life.

In 1902, the church was remodeled at a cost of $1,200 and the first “Ladies Aid Society” was established in 1903. A church bell was purchased in 1905, which is believed to be the same bell currently installed in the belfry. The first “Men’s Club” was organized in 1918.

During 1925, the church was enlarged. The front section of the church, which included the enclosed vestibule and front concrete entrance steps, was added. Simultaneously, the base and belfry (which had been attached to the front of the old section) were moved over the new vestibule. The entire church was raised and a full basement installed. The land on which the parking lot stands was purchased in 1983.

In 1994, a major addition housing the fellowship hall, modern kitchen, choir room and offices was dedicated.